Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Joys of Teething

Tyler has 2 bottom front teeth now and I was so excited for him to get them.  That is, until I saw this upon walking into his room:




Of course, he has no concept of what he did was wrong or that he is ruining a really nice piece of Pottery Barn furniture so I can't get mad at him.  I should have thought ahead and known this would happen.  I researched teething guards and the aftermarket ones you can buy were rated really low on both BabiesRUs and Amazon.  Everyone said it takes a couple hours in the crib and the baby will learn to just tear them down, throw them out of the crib, and continue to chew on the wood.  You can also see in the corner of the picture that the front rails have a plastic teething guard on them that came with the crib.  He is biting on that side, too.  The wood just under the plastic is chewed and looks just as bad as the sides.  I've decided there is nothing out there that is going to help my cause so I took matters into my own hands and devised my own  teething guards.  I used fabric from crib sheet that matched the bedding set but was too small for the mattress and  put a layer of batting under it just to make sure his little shark teeth couldn't penetrate.  I had to hand sew them because I don't have a sewing machine and I used Velcro to attach it to the rails so they look really awful (and like they were made by a 3rd grader).  Here's a picture of my solution:


















I need to make another one for the front rail.  Hopefully it will look a little better since I now have a sewing machine! 

No comments: